Office of the Vice Chancellor for Diversity

Commission for LGBT People

The purpose of the Commission for LGBT People is to advise on the planning, implementation, and evaluation of university programs, policies, and services designed to improve the status of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, intersex, or asexual people on the Knoxville campus.

The co-chairs for this commission are Phyliss Shey, administrative coordinator for Student Success Administration, and Joel Kramer, assignment manager for UT Housing.

Kramer says, “The commission serves as a voice for a population that is often silenced through intimidation or marginalization, and I’m proud to speak up for those who are not always able to do so themselves.”

Shey adds, “I consider the work I do for the Chancellor’s Commission for LGBT People to be some of my most important and satisfying experiences at UT. I pursue justice in an ongoing effort to create equality of thought and action for all people.”

If you would like to learn more information about the Commission and how you can get involved, go to lgbt.utk.edu.

Contribute to big ideas. Give to UT.

The University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Big Orange. Big Ideas.

Knoxville, Tennessee 37996 | 865-974-1000